22 January 2013

Literally literal


Working as a translator, words are at the absolute center (centre, if the customer desires the Queen's English) of my day-to-day-to-day-to-day life. The variable lodged in all of this concerns the medium of the given words. In my case, obviously, this is written. Oh fate, you fickle fragglerocker. I am literate (and damn proud of it), and my level of literacy has improved incredibly since becoming involved in the translation field. Thankfully.

That said (written)...

Well, point in case. All of my words, the massive imperial portion of them, are written, not spoken. This is odd for me, to put it lightly. Not simply unaccustomed, but focusing on the lesser side of my nature. True, it has resulted in self-improvement, in honing a less-developed skill, even in high self-satisfaction. And yet, it fails to fulfill the entirety of me. Spoken word, I've discovered, is of lofty and irreplaceable importance and cruciality for me. My career, which I love, is fundamentally different in its nature. Go figure. Love is a bitch – good call, whoever coined that one.. And Alanis, I think this is that irony you were searching for. You have my permission to use it in Bitter Pill Vol. 2.

And it pains me that the most accessible and convenient opportunity for conversing with the familyfriends dearest to me in MN and elsewhere is ultimately through writing as well. That the most accessible and convenient way to express myself is precisely what I am doing at this very moment – typing it out, casting it into the boundless netherworld of my age-old and somewhat dusty blog. Even with the fantastic possibilities bequeathed by Skype and Google for having that verbal and visual contact.. it's different from the face-to-face proximity, the verbal resonance through air waves and not sound waves or waves of other varying composition.

So that's my eloquent excuse for not updating this as often as I so much as would like to. It's the medium. And I just want to get a beer with you, Minneapolis. Grab a growler and sit by the river, talk of times and travels and translucent trapezoids with tantalizing THB trannies. Alright, that got a bit out of hand. But what else would you expect?

Edasi, вперёд..

1 comment:

Erin+n Liebhard said...

Fickle Fragglerocker. YES.